Sunday, 26 May 2013

And so onto the MCM

Well, unfortionately I didn't get the costumes sorted in time. More preparation and better time management are needed, that and a sewing machine but that's why I'm a novice at the end of the day.

Now before I get onto the event, I will say I have only ever been to 2 expos before than they were both in Birmingham. The event was what I thought to be packed but a great atmosphere all in all. That and it is my partner's first ever expo and I think the London one was not to disappoint.

We got to the Excel about 11:30ish and couldn't believe the site of all the cosplayers. I mean, with the Birmingham MCM I start seeing cosplayers when we are in Birmingham New Street but for London, we saw our first cosplayers in Peterborough which proves the size of the event.

My partner had never really seen cosplayers to be fair and he couldn't believe the amount of different costumes to the detail and effort that some people have but into them. 


Well, this really started something in him. When I was trying to do our costumes he wasn't so bothered. At the end of the day he's reeling off a list of people he would like to dress as and there aren't enough events in the year to cover it. He's thinking Fable 3 - King, Fable 3 - Reaver, hen he thought Steampunk as he saw some people dressed Steampunk and thought it looked amazing (and so did I!) and then he went on to Raven from Metal Gear Solid, Wolverine but the topless version, he saw a poster advertising the next film, and the list went on. So I've told him to write them all down and we will pick them out a hat, easiest way to make a decision in my house.

As for the crowded Birmingham MCM? Well not so crowded any more, I was pushed this way and that trying to get around the stalls and lost my partner twice which wasn't good to say he'd left his phone as home. The great thing was that the room was more than twice the size of the Birmingham one and had a lot more stalls to go through. I seemed to be attracted to anything and everything Steampunk related, it was on my mind. I love how they dress and how they have made some things that are meant to be modern look so... well not.



I mean, who ever thought Darth Vader would go for the Steampunk look. The best part of this I think is not only taking a classic that everyone knows and creating it in a different style but it's the fact that it is so well done, I think this looks amazing and the detail they put in deserves top marks especially with the gas mask idea.

Here's a couple other steam punk finds;


HMS Victorian Enterprise
Even though I don't drink tea I have to say this is a pretty awesome teapot. And see that shoulder, that's Robert Rankin's shoulder! I didn't take a photo of him but I did buy one of his books, 'The Mechanical Messiah and other Marvels of the Modern Age'.
And he signed it for me;


He has such a cool way of writing and after reading the first 3 chapters I love the way he writes, it's so random! 

The only other thing I bought was a pocket watch which I think is gorgeous! It's a wind up one but I love that I can see all the mechanics of it working. There was this one and 2 other to choose from but one had a white face and black hands and the other black face and silver hands which I felt looked too modern for my liking for this style of watch.


And to finish my little Steampunk saga I seemed to have had, some Steampunks =)



And to finish, enjoy some of the photos I took of some of the amazing cosplayers we had!


SSSSNNNNAAAAKKKEEE!!
My partner and Jack Sparrow
Me and Sonic
Photo bombed by Thor
The R2D2 was drivable, it was awesome!





Hope to see you in October! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment