Friday, 20 April 2012

My Little Pony Madness

Is it just me or has My Little Pony suddenly become popular again but with a whole different crowd? Now I am no expert at all in My Little Pony, I know there's one called Rainbow Dash and that'd about it really.

When I was younger I had a few of the ponies but I wasn't that fussed, thinking about it they were probably hand me downs from my sister, I didn't watch the show or anything, just played with the toys. That was about 15 years ago yet suddenly it has jumped back again and become really popular.

Amongst some of my cosplay and anime friends, they are going mad over it. There's pictures, cosplays, own creations. It's mad really, but before I go any further I'm just gonna say that there is nothing wrong with going MLP mad, saying that because it's the truth and I don't want to get eaten by my friends.

I suppose, as I have no real interest in it, it's quite cool to sit on the side line and watch how everyone has changed. A few years back I didn't give MLP a second thought but the popularity of it has shot back up beyond belief.

I have seen Rainbow dash cosplayed a lot, some people ever dying their har rainbow colours instead of wearing a wig, which looked amazing, btu I saw one at the Birmingham MCM Expo where I saw a full grown, and quite large, man walking around dressed up as him. It was quite comical to look at but i couldn't believe it when I saw it. He is either a closet MLP fan, got dared by a friend or had his daughter come up to him, tears in her eyes, and plea with him to dress up at him.

As for own character making, I have seen a lot of these before but now for MLP. I've seen a lot of Richu's and Pikachu's being designed on Deviant Art but MLP is a new one really.


For example, here are Lilacmist (above) and Silvermist (left). These two Ponies were created by Cutetoboewolf  (check her account out, she's a brilliant wolf artist!) on DeviantArt using Pony Creator. Pony Creator is a flash game featured on Deviantart. It allows people to design their on my little ponies with ease, without the need to be good at art.Pony Creatoe helps to create 'realisitic' looking MLP at the same time as making them personal to the artist. It's a fun way to add a little extra My Little Pony to someone's life.

So really, when it comes down to ir, My Little Pony is not just a children's programme, it's an art!

No comments:

Post a Comment